It was nice switching things up this past week and working on quilting rather than bag making. I caught up on the Stepping Stones Quilt along by getting all of the fabrics starched, pressed, and cut.
I completed last week’s assignment to make all of the HST’s for the quilts. I really dislike the trimming that comes with HSTs. I tried the trim-before-you-press method, but I still ended up with HSTs a little too big and had to trim anyway. After that happened four times I went back to my usual press then trim. I am glad that step is over!
I was hoping to get a little ahead of the quilt along (since I won the pattern!), but time just got away from me this week. At least I am caught up with the QAL and posted the photos of my completed work in the facebook group.
An interesting thing happened to me on Monday. I was searching the house high and low for something when I opened up a closet I rarely use. There is some bedding in there and what I thought was a store-bought bedspread. This has been in that closet since the Mister bought the house fully furnished back in 2007 (I think) and before he and I were married (and before I was a quilter). When I moved the “bedding” today I immediately noticed the hand quilting. It’s beautiful!
I put the quilt on my bed and started taking pictures. I just love the quilted heart border!
I was looking at the backing for a quilt label. I was starting to get sad at the thought of someone not labeling their quilt when I noticed some small embroidery. It took me a while to make out that it was a name, possibly a Deanna or Donna. The last name looked like Starr or Stump to me. I read a small “TM” and realized that it had the year 2004 under that. After some Googling I discovered it was a Donna Sharp quilt. I couldn’t find info on the website about this particular quilt, and thought it odd that this was hand quilted if it was made by a commercial business. I posted in the Just Us Quilters group on Facebook and asked if anyone knew anything about these quilts. It seems that they do make hand quilted quilts, and the work is most likely done overseas. Some is done here in the US too, so I gathered from a few commenters.
I found the matching pillow shams in a linen closet today too. This is a gorgeous quilt and I am thrilled to have found it hidden away. Especially AFTER becoming a quilter so that I could appreciate the work that went into this beautiful quilt!
What do you have planned for this week?
Do you have any crafty goals you would like to complete for April?
This week’s To-Do list:
- Complete Wednesday’s Stepping Stones QAL assignment
- Make Tudor Bag
Now it’s your turn! Write up your post and link up using the InLinkz linky below.
- Link up to this To-Do Tuesday blog post using the InLinkz linky below. Don’t forget: you can link up Instagram photos! The link up is open all week, and you can link any post for the week even if it’s written on the prior Sunday or Monday. It simply needs to be related to setting, working on, and/or completing your weekly goal(s).
- Try to visit at least one or two other blogs and leave a nice comment.
- Include a link back to my blog. Feel free to grab the blog button from the sidebar to show that you’re participating in To-Do Tuesday.
- You do not have to follow my blog to participate, but if you do decide to follow me… thank you! I appreciate it!
[inlinkz_linkup id=622495 mode=1]