What a relief to have finished this quilt before Halloween! Granted, it was just the evening before, but still… I did it!
I wanted to post this Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday post last Friday on Halloween, but the wind was pretty bad last weekend and I could not get decent pictures. I went a little crazy with the pictures this time, because Halloween decorations were up and I don’t usually have a good place and/or props to take pictures of my quilts. So this was fun for me!
This quilt started as a splurge on a charm pack of Moda’s Eerie fabric line at Greenbaum’s Quilted Forest in Salem, OR when we were visiting there during the summer. I wasn’t exactly sure what I would do with it until I saw a jelly roll of Eerie on Instagram as part of #thegreatfabricdestash for $25 shipped and realized that the charm pack and the jelly roll would make a quick and easy quilt. I knew Missouri Star Quilt Co had a YouTube tutorial on using the two together, and I used that as my basic pattern and idea for the border.
This quilt top came together very quickly. There are no points to match until you start piecing the rows together. I pieced the quilt top and back on Maye, my Singer Featherweight 221. The blocks finished at 8″ square. I added three borders. The first and third border were made from the Eerie print Haunted Forest in the Toil & Trouble colorway. I used leftover Jelly roll pieces to make the middle scrappy border. Each border finished at 2.5″. I used 50wt Aurifil thread in Grey, #2605 to piece the front and back. All the quilting was done with 40 wt. Aurifil in Black #2692.
The back of the quilt was made using Moda’s Moonlight Manor fabric line in the Happy Halloween Words print in Midnight. As usual, I did not order enough fabric, so I added a 4.5″ tall strip of the left over jelly roll strip sets I made for the scrappy border on the front. I also added another print that I ordered on whim (just the week before I made the back) from Quilter’s Square. It’s Gone Haunting in purple by Clothworks. The purple and orange in the print wasn’t a perfect match, but it was good enough. I used the scrappy Jelly Roll strip as my quilt label and embroidered the information directly on the back.
I chose to do crosshatch quilting over the blocks. At first I quilted the lines really wide, basically an “X” over each block. When I was finished I realized it needed more lines. I used my new seam guide with my walking foot and ended up with lines 3″ apart. It looks so much better.
I quilted straight lines half an inch apart in the first and third borders. In the scrappy border I decided to mimic the crosshatch quilting and made an “X” in each square. I really love how that turned out!
The entire quilt finished at 63″ x 71″. I decided to use Kona in Kumquat for the binding. I wanted to go with a tonal print, but just didn’t have the right hue in my stash. I also have a lot of different orange Kona half yards in my stash, and I don’t use too much orange in my sewing projects, so this was a good way to make use of the fabric.