I didn’t get much done this week, but I did manage to sew up January’s Bag of the Month bag from Sew Sweetness’ Bag of the Month Club.
I purchased some Denyse Schmidt Florence fabrics specifically for this bag. For some reason, I absolutely love plaid bags, and I knew this bag would be perfect for showing off some plaid. The lining is Seed Pod in Taupe, and the back zippered pocket is Seed Pod in Carnelian. The outer fabric is Multi Plaid in Carnelian. I chose black yarn dyed Essex Linen as the outer accent fabric. I used Aurifil 40wt thread in Black/#2692 and Light Sand/#2000 (not pictured).
This bag gave me a few challenges, because I don’t like to read all of the instructions. I mean, why should I pay attention to the details that are painstakingly written out for me so that I don’t mess up when sewing? Psssshhhh. Thoroughly reading the instructions is for people who don’t like their seam ripper.
Rather than making the outer panels of only one fabric, as instructed, I decided I wanted to have the bottom part of the bag be in the Essex Linen. That wasn’t the mistake, but my math was. So, my outer panels ended up about an three-quarters of an inch shorter than my lining panels. I decided to just trim the lining panels to match, as the loss wasn’t too drastic and it seemed like a rather tall bag anyway.
Holy Effing Are-you-KIDDING-Me Mistake #2:
I knew something was off about my zippered pocket when the bottom pocket fabric didn’t match up when sewing the pocket closed. I only noticed this AFTER insertion, of course. But, I just “went with it”. And all was well until it was time to mark handle placement.
Apparently when I made the zipper pocket I had my marked zipper fabric upside down. So the zipper pocket was about 3″ too high. And exactly where the handles were to be attached. I. Wanted. To. Cry. But, crying doesn’t effing fix it. I looked at it for a few minutes, played around with the handles, and decided instead of making a new outer panel (which I had messed up to begin with… and there was no telling if I could mess it up ON PURPOSE again), I would just change handle placement. I knew it would be close to the top and the seam allowance, but by precisely measuring it with my eyeballs, aka “eyeballing it”, it looked like it would be okay. Apparently I have madskillz with eyeball measuring, whereas I have NO skillz using the maths to measure.
I proudly held up my finished bag to show Mister and noticed that one of my handles was twisted. And sewing this interfaced Essex Linen was not easy. My sewing machine did NOT like backstitching on it at all. Not even with a top-stitch needle. Thankfully it didn’t take long to fix!
I am so pleased with this bag! I remembered to use my Emmaline Bags “handmade” hardware, and I even remembered to put my label in it! After it was sewn up, of course (Mistake #4). I just folded over the seam allowance and sewed it over the topstitching on the lining pocket. I think it turned out okay that way. I also decided to go a little fancy and I added purse feet. PURSE FEET. Seriously. Proud. Of. This. Bag.
And here it is, all finished… front and back! I’m not too sure about my zipper choices… I probably should have done grey top and back zippers. Although, I think this will do. I really love this bag, but I’m thinking I may save it for a Christmas present. It would be really great to have one present already in the bag. Corny pun totally intended.
I started this project during the week, but so many errands and “life” got in the way. I ended up sewing up most of it yesterday, and finished fixing the mistakes today. Since I ended up doing most of my sewing over the weekend, I’m linking up with My Go-Go Life for SEWJo Saturday (er…Sunday).
6 thoughts on “Bye Bye Love Bag”
And proud you should be!!! Turned out fantastic, and you stretched yourself with the few hiccups, and muddled through to a great finish!!!
Omg, you are so funny! Your bag looks fantastic. Besides, the higher zipper works great if you have short arms.
Wow! That is gorgeous! Great job. 🙂
My goodness that’s impressive.
The plaid is stunning. I’m impressed with how well it turned out, it seems that you have more skills than you knew 🙂